Thursday, May 16, 2013

I'm here!

I am here!   I made it to Mexico.  It is really awesome.  It is just what I expected it to be like. The name of my companion is Elder Blood.  I know it is a cool name. He is really nice. Elder Holland is coming to Culiacan to speak to the missionaries.  I am so very excited!   I am serving in a town called Rosario.  I cannot talk very much now, but I am safe and happy and I will tell you all about my adventures on Monday.   Love,  Elder Cannon

Here is a little info on Ryan's first area:

El Rosario, a small town about 31 miles (50 km) south of Mazatlán, is famous for the altar in the town church. The altar alone makes a visit to El Rosario somewhat worth the drive. El Rosario was once the richest town in Southwest Mexico because of the local mining operations. This small town was the home of the famous Mexican singer, Lola Beltrán. They have built a small museum in her honor although the museum is open only sporadically. The local economy produces pottery, furniture, and leather goods.
Rosario Sinaloa is the town referred to as Tres Camarones in the writing of Luis Alberto Urrea. The area now is known for growing amapola (flower below)  and marijuana in the hillsides (joy) considered now the new gold mines for the area.







No comments:

Post a Comment